Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Lesson Went Great!

Just checking in, today we read The Lorax, and though Kitah Gan didn't have the exact same reaction as I did upon reading the words of the Once-ler, it was fun. Everyone enjoyed eating our "dirt pudding" and I was surprised by all the reasons to be thankful for trees that our class came up with. Another interesting thing I took away was how the class picked up on how the Once-ler, someone who I had assumed was the villain of the story, was both good and bad. I asked the question assuming that everyone would answer that he's bad because he cuts down all the trees and opens the factory that ultimately destroys the environment. However, Kitah Gan noticed that he's also a good character because he gives the seed to the boy in hopes of starting a new forest of Truffula trees and because he seems to feel remorse for his actions. Wow! That totally changed how I saw the story and I was so proud that they caught that little detail. I guess I should never underestimate the listening and analyzing capabilities of Kitah Gan. I'm so glad the lesson worked out well and that I got to take something new away from it.
-Julie

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Julie, sounds great! You've definitely discovered one of the most enjoyable things about teaching (not that I'm a real teacher, but I know some)...that you never know what interesting ideas will come out of your discussion!

    ReplyDelete