Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Sunshiney Day





I just got back from the Hebrew School's annual Tzedakah Fair. After a very very last minute organization, I pulled off a booth for the PSJC Teen Social Action Group's project for this year: The Solar Cooker Project. Thanks to Elisabeth, Julian (who surprised me by showing up) and I were able to talk to parents and kids about the project, which raises money to buy solar cookers for refugee women in Africa so that they can cook near their homes instead of traveling long distances for firewood, making them vulnerable to rape and attack. In addition, many kids were able to decorate their own symbolic spoons, representing the project. I had a lot of kids get involved, staying with me at the station and helping explain the mission. Other kids offered to take some spoons around the fair and attract people to the booth. It took a lot of standing, but I was happy to explain the project and was so thankful that we got such a great opportunity to further our teen group's progress on this year's project. I feel like it was a great success and we also did a great job soliciting our Parents' Night Out program; a lot of parents seemed very interested. The only thing that could have been better is if we had more blank wooden spoons for the kids to decorate, because a lot of them got really into it.

-Lucy

1 comment:

  1. Amazing job! And yes, in very little time you totally pulled it together. We'll start stocking up on spoons NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete